Cooking Tips: Soy Sauce Selection

Soy Sauce Selection

Japanese Shoyu
Dark
-rich
-less salty
-all purpose

Light
-sweet
-saltier compared to dark shoyu
-more intense flavor
-good for making a sauce

Tamari
-strong flavor
-mostly Gluten Free because it is not made with wheat
-good as a dipping sauce

Shiro 白醬油
-light color and light flavor
-good dipping sauce for white fish sashimi and shiro ramen

Chinese Soy Sauce
Dark 老抽
-rich flavor
-less salty
-may have added sugar in it

Light 生抽
-thinner in texture compared to dark soy sauce
-all purpose

Low sodium soy sauce
It am using low sodium sauce but I did not know that there are more chemical used to process it.  So, I am making a change to the old fashion fementated soy sauce even I don't use a lot of soy sauce in the first place.

Conclusion, I personaly will look for the soy sauce with simple ingredients.  It is most likely to be made in Japan.  My secondary selection is a soy sauce made in Taiwan.  It is sad to say I cannot tell what is ok to eat if the product is made in China.  No more low sodium.  It will just buy the more simple and higher quality soy sauce and use less to control my sodium intake.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

江綺媚

Recipe: Lemon Chicken Wings【檸檬雞翼】by 吾淑吾食 (ReEdited)+++